Friday, August 28, 2015

Java (JRE) 8 Update 60 - Note

Not sure how I missed it last week. I’m usually very good about catching such things.

Oracle released Java 8 Update 60 on August 18th. - Oracle Release Notes

So I’ve been playing catch-up on updating the (few) systems that I manage that still have a JRE installation on them.

Two things I’ve noted.

First, if you are getting a 1063 Error code when installing it, first check to see if you are running Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. If so, temporarily disable its protection before re-running the installer. When done, re-enable protection. This previous GSD post goes over the simple details & process.

Second observation is this, this particular JRE build doesn’t seem to fire the “do-you-want-to-remove-the-older-versions” uninstaller dialog window.

I’ve installed JRE 8-60 on a number of windows systems now.

Previous versions of Java 8 would go process the new version installation, then pop up a dialog window saying it (may have) found older/insecure version(s) of Java installed and do you want to uninstall them.

If you answered affirmatively, then it would remove them.

However this version go round, that dialog doesn’t present and when I checked (because I always check) the “Programs and Features” list, the older Java versions were left on the systems.

03l0c1lv.dmj

I’ve manually removed the older versions as they aren’t needed for compatibility on my managed systems and I don’t want the security overhead of these older ones.

Cheers.

Claus Valca

No comments: