Saturday, December 20, 2014

Browser Bits in the News - Quickpost

Lots of web-browser bits have been in my RSS feed pile lately.

Here is a sizable collection for your review and bookmarking.

Security Related

  • SSLPersonas, making the padlock obvious. - Malwarebytes Unpacked - I like the concept but the graphic was a bit too bold IMHO.
  • Are you a robot? Introducing “No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA” - Google Online Security Blog - GSD has been flooded in the past several months with an update in comment-spam. I seriously debated turning comments off, however there wasn’t a granular way on Blogger to keep the current comments visible and suspend commenting. So, since I do like the discussions and comments from the GSD support base -- and I guess keeping things open so it wastes time for the comment bots and boiler-room comment spam drone workers -- the comments remain open. And I will continue to rely on Blogger’s spam-filters to catch most of them.
  • The No CAPTCHA problem - Egor Homakov - and counterpoint analysis
  • The New Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit 1.05 - Malwarebytes Unpacked - I really like the promise of Anti-Exploit. Lavie continues to “pilot” it on her Win 8.1 system. However I also run EMET on our systems and AE seems to require some significant tweaking of the EMET rule-set to get Internet Explorer to run “normally” when both are installed at the same time.That said, I hope to one day see where they both can run concurrently without additional tweaking of default rule/behavior sets. Alas, this new version of AE didn’t bring it to me just yet.

Firefox Related

Chrome Related

  • The Best Chrome Extensions - MakeUseOf -  I have some of these already and will be looking into a few to see if they will be worth adding.

GPU acceleration in the web browser

Also, in Chrome you can type “chrome://flags/” in the address bar and get a GUI and more fine-grained way to address/disable rendering options in the browser.

F12

Cheers,

Claus Valca

No comments: