Not sure what got me started on this collection of links.
The stock Task Manager application on Windows isn’t that bad in Windows 7 and gets even better in Windows 8/8.1/10.
However, sometimes you really need something with a bit more lifting power when you are working on Windows system to review and dive into the running processes.
I use Microsoft Sysinternals Process Explorer as my EDC utility. I’ve yet to find a product to beat the overall feaures it brings.
- Process Explorer: an introduction - Malwarebytes Labs
- Process Explorer: part 2 - Malwarebytes Labs
- Defrag Tools: #2 - Process Explorer - Defrag Tools | Channel 9
- Utilizing SysInternals Tools for Windows Client: (03) ProcessExplorer - Utilizing SysInternals Tools for Windows Client | Channel 9
However, there are a number of other utilities I like to keep handy just in case I need a different view.
- System Explorer – Mister Group
- Process Hacker – Wen Jia Liu
- Yet Another Process Monitor (YAPM) – Not updated in quite some time but still nice with a ribbon like interface.
- DBC Task Manager – Presents a more Windows 8/8.1 type task manager view on Windows 7 systems.
- ArcadeRenegade/SidebarDiagnostics – Not really a task-manager but does provide key system information in a sidebar format. Good for displaying hardware diagnostic information off to the side while troubleshooting a system.
- MiTeC Task Manager DeLuxe – MiTeC – Lots of detailed information in a handy tabbed window format