I first discovered the BOSSIES back in mid 2009.
It is an annual collection of the Best of Open Source Software as presented by InfoWorld.
InfoWorld Bossie Awards – InfoWorld
InfoWorld Bossies (Best of Open Source Software)
Each year, InfoWorld's Bossies (Best of Open Source Software awards) recognize the best open source software for business. The InfoWorld Test Center's central mission has always been to identify the most promising and cost-effective products available to IT organizations. Increasingly, those products -- from application development tools to platforms and infrastructure software to CRM and ERP applications -- come from the open source camp.
Here are are the ones I am highlighting as particular interest to me in three (of a total of seven) different categories. Check the main page or the category links for the full set of winners:
Bossie Awards 2013: The best open source desktop and mobile software - note links open to application homepage.
- Classic Shell - start menu button replacement for Windows 8/8.1
- OpenOffice 4.0 - alternative office application suite
- LibreOffice - alternative office application suite
- KeePass - password management utility
- pdfcreator - make/print/manage PDF formatted documents
- PeaZip - file compression utility -- supports all kinds of compressed file archive formats
- ProjectLibre - alternative project management software
- VLC - super rich media player
Bossie Awards 2013: The best open source networking and security software - note links open to application homepage.
- OpenVPN - create your own VPN solutions.
- Zentyal Server - Linux based small business server package all rolled up in one.
- Maltego - network mapping tool to create and display relationship between people and network resources. Commercial and community editions available.
- Kali Linux - pentesting Linux specialized distro
- Angry IP Scanner - network resource scanner.
Bossie Awards 2013: The best open source admin tools - note links open to application homepage.
- UNetbootin - create bootable Live USB drive for Ubuntu, Fedora, and other Linux Live CD distros.
- Process Hacker - utility to monitor system resources, debug software, hunt down malware, etc.
- Clonezilla - disk imaging software
- RackTables - neat tool to help manage datacenter & server room assets.
More than a few of these were already in my software collection so it’s nice to see them recognized here.
I’ve apparently missed out on previous BOSSIE years so I’ve got some catching up to do!
Hope you find something fun and new here!