Saturday, May 05, 2007

Unexpected Windows SUV Sighting

Last week I was transiting between offices and was getting off the southbound Gulf Freeway onto the feeder, just inside the 610 loop.

Out of the corner of my eye a big Chevrolet SUV passed me on the right.

It took a few seconds for my brain to put all the pieces together as I was trying to pay attention to slowing for the upcoming signal but the SUV couldn't be ignored.

My first thought was...why is a local news truck in the area?

My second thought was...those are some wicked camera mounts.

My third thought was...Windows?  Is Microsoft having a special promo in Houston?

My fourth thought was...OH!  Cool!  It's the Windows Live Local camera mapping truck! Neat!

For a brief moment I calculated my ability to pull out my cellphone camera and take a picture against my ability to make the imminent left-turn I was planning at the light.

I decided against it and as I turned left, it went on down the feeder.

Too bad.

It was really cool.

That was unexpected.

Maybe this means some street level views of a Houston debut of Live Search Maps technology is not too far off?  As fascinating as the 2D aerial views of our city are on Microsoft's Local Live, ground-level shots would be fun, too.

--Claus

No comments: