Obviously I've been busy these last couple of weeks tracking down (to me) some useful or interesting Microsoft Vista technical links and tips.
Here is the last batch of links I have for now.
Read at your own risk of geekiness.
- What is the Desktop Window Manager (DWM) in Vista? - CyberNet News
64-bit Vista Disk Cleanup shortcut fix
- Correct Disk Cleanup shortcut for Windows Vista 64-bit - Kristan Kenney - Confessions of a Windows Vista Enthusiast
"Hidden" Vista Screensaver Tweaks and Hacks
- Windows Vista Aurora Screen Saver Settings - Kristan Kenney - Confessions of a Windows Vista Enthusiast
- Registry hacks for the Windows Vista screensavers - Long Zheng - istartedsomthing blog.
- Lazy man’s Desktop Aurora - - Long Zheng - istartedsomthing blog.
Connected to Vista Bookmarks
- Classic Menu for Office 2007 - Windows Connected blog.
- Microsoft Blogs and Websites - Windows Connected blog.
- Customizing Vista- Windows Connected blog.
Vista 4 Beginners
Wonderful Vista Tip site with great, easy-to-understand tutorial and tips: Windows Vista™ for beginners | Windows Vista™ made easy. I've got it added to my RSS feed list!
Take a sample of these useful tutorials from their website
- Switch back to the Classic Start Menu
- Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool
- Windows Sidebar - the complete guide
- Check your system health with the Reliability and Performance Monitor
- How to change the size of your icons
- How to setup a wireless connection
- Remove the arrow and the "shortcut" text from your Windows Vista shortcuts
Vista Security Resources
- Overview of the Windows Vista Security Guide - Microsoft TechNet
- Windows Vista Security - MSDN blog
- Download details: Windows Vista Security Guide - Microsoft guide
...provides recommendations and tools to further harden Windows Vista. Use the GPOAccelerator tool in this Solution Accelerator to efficiently establish the Enterprise Client (EC) environment or the Specialized Security – Limited Functionality (SSLF) environment.
Microsoft Vista TechNet Center
- Windows Vista TechCenter - clearinghouse of technical information related to Vista from Microsoft.
- Windows Vista Networking - Overview of the changes in Vista networking design and function
Vista Application Compatibility Resources
I haven't encountered many applications so far that wouldn't run on Vista.
That said, every time I install a new application on our Vista machine, I run Process Explorer so I can keep an eye on its memory and CPU utilization rates for a while. I did have one program (still beta) that ate up my CPU cycles, but overall have been pleased with the application compatibility I have found porting my XP tools, applications and utilities over to the Vista machine.
- Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0 - Microsoft TechNet Overview of this tool Enterprise IT staff might want to consider prior to a Vista deployment.
- How to run pre-Vista programs in Compatibility Mode - Lifehacker
- Windows Vista Help: Program Compatibility Assistant: frequently asked questions - Microsoft
- Program Compatibility Features and Resulting Internet Communication in Windows Vista - Microsoft TechNet
You've been informed.