Sunday, March 09, 2014

For the iOS crowd

A few nights ago, I came home from work and Lavie was quite frustrated with her iPhone.

She had heard a local news story about how the iPhone can track the user and how to disable the feature…only she couldn’t find the news story on the station’s web-site despite their comment.

I was familiar with a number of “feature” settings that could conceivable track and “spy” on your iPhone usage habits and personal travels, but none of those seemed to satisfy Lavie’s understanding of the news story.

Took me a few days but I finally tracked it down for Lavie:

The applicable part was this bit in the story:

“On an iPhone, it’s a bit more complicated. Just go to ‘Settings’, click ‘Privacy’, then select ‘Location Services’, scroll down to ‘System Services’, that’s where you find ‘Frequent Locations’. Just turn that feature off.”

The news story wraps a lot of drama around the issue but it certainly succeeded in getting Lavie’s attention.

I also found these new-to-me reports of other iOS security concerns.

And by the way…

Dad?  These links are for you and that iPad.  I’d say you could blame it on the cats but you don’t have any pets in the house…

Cheers,

--Claus Valca

No comments: