Here is some assorted linkage from the past week or two that might be of interest to the system administrators lurking around.
- US State Governments Can’t Shake IT Woes - IEEE Spectrum - This week in gooberment IT support and deployment silliness. Offered as object lessons for self-improvement.
- HealthCare.gov deferred final security check, could leak personal data - Ars Technica
- The seven deadly sins of HealthCare.gov - Ars Technica
- Can we trust the data brokers who store our most intimate private details? - Ars Technica
- Defrag Tools: #61 - Windows 8.1 - Disk Space, Sysinternals DU and RU - Defrag Tools on Channel 9
- PowerShell: Location, Location, Location - 4sysops
- Download Active Directory Replication Status Tool - Microsoft Download Center
- How to make your USB drive Write-protected under Windows - RMPrepUSB, Easy2Boot and USB booting
- Install Windows 8.1 on Oracle VirtualBox - BetaNews article from Wayne Williams
- Customizing the Windows 8.1 Start Screen? Don’t follow Microsoft’s guidance - Aaron Parker
- Windows 8.1 / Windows Server 2012 R2 - Updated Shell UI changes - Ask the Performance Team blog