Time to empty out the “to-blog” hopper again.
In this edition, critical and curious security-related posts. Culled from the Web buffet bar over the past few weeks.
Meanwhile…we are installing Windows 8.1 Beta in a fresh VMWare Player build. Details to follow.
And the Password is…”stealmecrackme”
- It’s official: Password strength meters aren’t security theater - Ars Technica
- Why your password can’t have symbols—or be longer than 16 characters - Ars Technica
- Anatomy of a hack: How crackers ransack passwords like “qeadzcwrsfxv1331” - Ars Technica
- On the h4xx0ring of p4sswordZ - Dan’s Data
- Hackers To Manage Your Apple ID, If Caught From Phishing Bait - Security Intelligence Blog at Trend Micro
- Your login form posts to HTTPS, but you blew it when you loaded it over HTTP - Troy Hunt’s blog
- iCloud users take note: Apple two-step protection won’t protect your data - Ars Technica
- New attack cracks iPhone autogenerated hotspot passwords in seconds - Ars Technica
- Do you cover up your webcam? - F-Secure Weblog : News from the Lab
- Camjacking: Click and say Cheese - Egor Homakov’s Blog - I took the challenge on my locked-down and highly updated/patched Win7 system and the browsers installed (IE/FF/Chromium) and didn’t experience the vulnerability. I think that’s a good thing!
- Gmail Retention and Your Privacy - Forensic 4cast
- Ad injection and you - how adware gets on your computer - Microsoft Malware Protection Center
Locking it down & Cleaning up the Mess
- Java: A Fix it for when you cannot let go - Security Research & Defense - MS Technet blogs
- HitmanPro rescues anti-virus programs from malware attack - HitmanPro Blog
- Windows 8.1: High-performance behaviour monitoring for Defender -The H Security - Note: I cannot find any info if these features will be eventually bundled/included in the Microsoft Security Essentials builds or not. This GSD post has some tips for tweaking Windows Defender configuration in Windows 8: Advanced Tips for Windows Defender with Windows 8.
- Five Common Corporate Pitfalls in Cyber Security Management - Speaking of Security – The RSA Blog and Podcast
And now a GSD PSA:
- Parents--make sure your kids view this TED presentation--no matter what their age.
- Children--make sure your parents view this TED presentation--no matter what their age.
- Employers--consider sharing with your employees.
Juan Enriquez: Your online life, permanent as a tattoo - TED.com - video appx 6 min.
“What if Andy Warhol had it wrong, and instead of being famous for 15 minutes, we’re only anonymous for that long? In this short talk, Juan Enriquez looks at the surprisingly permanent effects of digital sharing on our personal privacy. He shares insight from the ancient Greeks to help us deal with our new “digital tattoos.”
For even more TED videos on the impact of digital media, check out this related playlist of 10 more brief TED Talks: Our digital lives