It has been quite a while since posting on ransomware trends.
Here is a quick roundup collected over the past few weeks.
CryptoPrevent v7.0 Released! - Foolish IT LLC - I really like the new interface of v7.x. It stays simple but can expand with additional more powerful options if needed. I continue to protect all of our home systems with this tool (and the layers of other av/am software as well). I highly recommend it for home users as an added level of prevention.
Finally, I kindly remind you of CryptoLocker Defense for Sysadmins - EventSentry Blog - new and interesting enterprise-class tool for detection of CryptoLocker threats.
Some rescue possible
FireEye and Fox-IT joined up and have started a free service that may allow some users infected with earlier variants of Cryptolocker to unlock their files at no cost.
- DecryptCryptoLocker - FireEye and Fox-IT
- New Site Recovers Files Locked by Cryptolocker Ransomware - Krebs on Security
- FireEye and Fox-IT tool can help recover Crilock-encrypted files - Microsoft Malware Protection Center blog
- FireEye, Fox-IT launch free service to combat Cryptolocker ransomware - ZDNet
- Decryption keys are now freely available for victims of CryptoLocker - Bleeping Computer News
- Free Service to Help CryptoLocker Victims by FireEye and Fox-IT - InfoSec Handlers Diary Blog
So is the ransomware threat gone? Hardly. If not gone, morphing into new variants, all the more dangerous.
- CryptoLocker ransomware intelligence report - Fox-IT International blog
- Meet CryptoWall, The New Ransomware Leader (with heatmap) - Spiceworks
- CryptoWall - A new ransomware from the creators of CryptoDefense - Bleeping Computer News
- Ransomware Race (Part 1): CryptoWall ups the ante - F-Secure Weblog : News from the Lab
- Ransomware Race (part 2): Personal media the next frontier? - F-Secure Weblog : News from the Lab
- Ransomware Race (Part 3): SynoLocker Under The Hood - F-Secure Weblog : News from the Lab
- Ransomware Race (Part 4): Adult Content, Browlock's Staying Power - F-Secure Weblog : News from the Lab
- Ransomware Race (part 5): SynoLocker's unkept promises - F-Secure Weblog : News from the Lab
- How-To-Decrypt PowerShell Ransomware flaw makes recovery impossible - Bleeping Computer News
- ZeroLocker - a new destructive encrypting ransomware - Bleeping Computer News
Continue to stay protected!