Sunday, November 23, 2008

Three Quick Bits

These finds just didn’t seem to fit in with any of the other posts I have planned for this week so here they are as standalone items.

Not so really useful (IMHO) as a boot disk any longer, now that there are better options such as Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD or Windows PE 2.0 or even the amazing VistaPE projects.

What I did find useful from that particular link was that TACKtech Corp. provides a ton of useful tips, links, news, articles and other resources off their home page.  Take some time to poke around.  I’m sure you will find it worthy of adding to your bookmark pile.  It is well laid-out and fun to browse around.  Kudos TACKtech and thanks for sharing!

I don’t often run into DAA/UIF disk-image format files.  I prefer the ISO format and after that BIN/CUE files.  If however you do need to convert a DAA/UIF file, you can buy a program, or use DAA2ISO and UIF2ISO freeware tools from developer Luigi Auriemma. Read the DLSquad link and find the additional link to Luigi’s proof that he actually had his original code “appropriated” by a commercial software company for their own product.

Confessions Junkie maximillian_x takes a look at a freeware network suite that might just have a few things worth looking into.  I’ve got a number of network tool suites and I have a hard time deciding which one I want to use.  Now I’ve got another one; Axence Software - Free NetTools.  Max does a great job on his review and covers all the major points as well as a few shortcomings.

That is all…

--Claus V.

No comments: