Sunday, November 02, 2008

Miscellaneous Windows Troubleshooting Info

When I was dealing with the SharePort issue, I was looking for additional tools and things to help me with the troubleshooting process

I already was using Process Explorer, Process Monitor, and AutoRuns to try to pin down the issue.

I had been pouring through the system logs on the XP and Vista systems as well.

In the end I found these particular post especially helpful:

Monitoring Event Logs in Windows Vista – Windows Networking

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista – Microsoft Help and Support

Windows Vista Event Viewer – Computer Performance UK

One really golden find in my Web-diving was discovery of the Ask the Performance Team bog.

Both are really in-depth and fascinating explorations of the Windows crash-dump process and post-mortem review.  Darn good stuff.

Software Solutions?

Here are some freeware software solutions to help with program installation monitoring and logging:

InstallWatch - (freeware) – Epsilon Squared

InstallSpy - (freeware) – scroll to the bottom of the page to find.

Advanced Uninstaller PRO - (trialware/$)

Tiny Watcher - (freeware) – See review over at freewaregenius.com

In the end, none of these helped me, but I thought I would pass them on anyway.

--Claus

1 comment:

ShareTime said...

Every problem that develops on a stable system (excluding bad hardware) is caused by some software or configuration change.

WinDiagnostic is a new product that diagnoses Windows problems. It incorporates PC agents that remotely monitor both the Registry and all file systems for changes. The product documents ALL Windows and application program changes, and will send reports via email whenever there are relevant changes.

You just review the reports to see what caused your problem!

So, do yourself a favor and take a look at WinDiagnostic:

http://www.WinDiagnostic.com

And it’s free!