I can make quick, decisive decisions while at work, but can take several hours in a mall trying to decide which polo-shirt I want to buy.
I've been known to walk out of a mall after more than three hours, with Lavie not-so-silently muttering under her breath, without finding a single pair of jeans that I thought felt right.
I will go a week without eating lunch, so I can save the budget money to buy a new anime DVD.
I am compelled to toss out any leftovers more than two days old.
I don't go to bed without making sure all the dirty dishes have been loaded in the dishwasher.
I'd rather not wear my glasses in the house, rather than admit it is time to dust again.
But one of my hidden "bad-habits" is my Pocky.
Pocky. Those chocolate-covered, overpriced, demon-snack sticks loved by otaku. And if you believe the Pocky marketing blitz, is a really popular snack in Japan as well.
I have boxes stashed all over the house; in the study, in the living room, in the bedroom, at work, and in my car.
I can't go to the grocery store without buying at least two boxes, even if I have 10 unopened ones already.
I also have a Giant Pocky box the girls found for me one year.
Pocky are (generally) chocolate covered crisp-stick snacks. They are very thin and very good.
Please, Mizuho...Can I have some more?
I blame my addiction on Mizuho Kazami. Onegai (Please) Teacher was my first anime series to collect and fall in love with. It is sweet, tender, and deeply romantic. It was also how I managed to get Lavie hooked on anime with me.
In the series, Mizuho consumes vast quantities of Pochy. We soon learned that was a homage to Pocky snack-sticks and were both searching for boxes to see what the fuss was about.
Before we knew it we were hooked.
As our love of Pocky and anime expanded, we began to see it cropping up in cameos within other anime we watch; Eureka Seven (Precky), Please Teacher (Pochy), and Spirited Away (Pock). It's a fun game now. And we can't watch any Onegai Teacher episodes without a box or two nearby to munch on.
Pocky comes in a variety of flavors. The Pocky Gallery lists 30 types and flavors, some more hard to find than others. I'm looking to find the "Men's Pocky" flavor, as it is made with a darker chocolate than the standard Pocky which I usually get. Alvis prefers the strawberry flavored Pocky. Lavie likes the Almond-Crush Pocky best. I'd also like to try the Green Tea Mousse Pocky as well as I like green teas.
Glico's Pocky Chocolate Lineup page. (Japanese)
Which Flavor Pocky are you?
Blogthings has a number of silly/fun quizzes. Including one for Pocky: What Flavor Pocky Are You?
Lavie and I took the quiz (independently) and both came out as being "Green Tea" Pocky flavored folks.
|You Are Green Tea Pocky|
Peaceful yet full of life. Deep and thoughtful.
You're halfway to tantric bliss!
Tantric bliss?...hmmm. Who knew eating Pocky could be so good for you!
Alvis then took the quiz and (naturally) came back as "Strawberry" Pocky.
|You Are Strawberry Pocky|
Comforting, yet quirky ... quietly hyper
You always see both sides to everything
Pocky YouTube Videos
Like American beer commercials, Pocky commercials do a great job of being delightfully catchy in a short time span. I've found quite a view wonderfully fun Pocky commercials on YouTube.
Just be warned...that theme is kinda catchy!
- Pocky Kurogoma- My favorite. Melding a traditional Japanese feel to a modern pop beat. Kawaii!
- Pocky Girls - Yummmy. Gotta go eat me a box right now!
- More Pocky Girls Goodness! - I'm moving into my second box!
- Pocky - Dance Stripes - Get up and burn those calories! Yui Aragaki is so kawaii!
- Pocky Hypnotism - It worked for me....I'm now a slave!
- Nakama Yukie needs a Pocky - Cool, slick composed...oops!
- Mousse Pocky - Dark and sultry-smooth.
- Kiss Me, Pocky! - A young couple alone in their room..suddenly...the door opens!
- Kiss Me, Pocky, II - Will the couple's kiss be finally fulfilled?
- Pocky Rings up a Storm - Beware wet women ringing your doorbell.
- Pocky Wedding Bells - Wonder how those arranged marriages work out...
- Yui Aragaki - Pocky 101 - Pocky eating class in session! (Had to stick her in here again!)
- Yui Aragaki - Pocky 102 - Remedial Pocky eating class!
- Love and Pocky Hurts! - Don't mix love and Pocky, someone might get hurt!
- Rocky Pocky - What Rocky Balboa would eat if he ate Pocky.
- Pocky and the Undead! - Satomi Ishihara - Terror strikes!
- Morning Musume Pocky - Reminds me of a Target commercial for some reason.
- Morning Musume Pocky, II - Here we go again! If only Alvis had that much energy in the morning.
- Pocky DANCE DANCE - Longer, high energy ad featuring JPop group ORANGE RANGE.
- Pocky Decore - Wedding cake Pocky -- kinda makes me want to puke, it's so sweet (the ad).
- Pocky Super Ninja Style - Can eating Pocky make you a super-ninja? Maybe!
- Club Pocky - Short and vibrant. Like a teenager.
The Dark-Side of Pocky
The Depths of Addiction: The Pocky Problem - a mockumentary of the pain and horror Pocky consumption can bring and its devastating consequences.
- Episode 1: "The Goods"
- Episode 2: "The Pocky Problem"
- Episode 3: "The Junkie"
- Episode 4: "The Underworld"
- Episode 5: "The Catgirl"
- Episode 6: "The Goods II"
- Episode 7: "The Otaku"
- Episode 8: "The Gateway"
- Episode 9: "The War"
- Episode 10: "The Impact"
Google Video and WMV format links here.
Pocky Idol Street
Just so ensure you leave with a sweet taste again:
Glico's Pocky Idol Street. -- It's not just the chocolate that makes Pocky so sweet!
Pocky Girls blog
So go buy a box of Pocky.
Who knows, that might be Claus and Lavie you run into fighting over the last box on the shelf!