Last night I was culling my collection of Windows key-finding utilities. There were some that had gone “404” and others that didn’t seem stable (or effectively work at all) on newer Windows 7/10 systems.
Many were collected back in the days of Windows XP so I decided to pick through them and dump the oldest ones and add some new ones.
This morning I saw that the TinyApps.org bloggist was hard at work on his own list!
- Recover Windows product key from BIOS / UEFI – TinyApps.org blog
Possibly we are being confronted with similar troublehsooting and service issues?
Here is my list and there are some similarities (as presented in semi-alphabetical order).
Some of these recover more than just the Windows OS key.
Some have not been updated in a while and may not work effectively on Win 7/8/8.1/10.
- Jalapeño License Keyfinder
- LicenseCrawler - Martin Klinzmann
- Magical Jelly Bean – Note I don’t use this one as often as it typically makes anti-virus software go nuts as a PUP.
- ProduKey – NirSoft
- Product Key Finder - Dave Hope
- RockXP – Korben - Note I also don’t use this one as often as it typically makes anti-virus software go nuts as a PUP.
- RWEverything - Read & Write Everything
- ShowKeyPlus - GitHub
- SterJo Key Finder
- Win Keyfinder 2.0 / 1.75
- Windows Key Finder – Lazesoft
- Windows OEM Product Key Tool - NeoSmart Technologies
- Windows Product Key Viewer – RJL Software
Then there is there is the manual method using CMD or PowerShell for most Win 10 / 8 / 8.1 systems.
- Use Command Prompt or PowerShell to find Windows Product Key - Microsoft Windows Mini-Guides – BleepingComputer
I tend to prefer ProduKey, ShowKeyPlus, and Windows OEM Product Key Tool as my primary tools.