Saturday, November 28, 2015

Windows Updating Fixes - Maybe

I have two Windows 7 Pro x64 systems up at the church-house that refuse to comply and install IE 11.

I keep reviewing the install log at C:\Windows\IE11_main.log for failure analysis and all the requirements seem to be present, but it still fails; both via Windows Updates or a manual (re) installation of all the pre-requisites and the main IE 11 install file.

(When I find where I put those log file captures I’ll update the post with more detail.)

Update: Found my log file capture! Install error 09C57

This is from just one of the two machines I’m having the same issue with. I need to pull the second system’s IE install log and compare to see if they match. I suspect they will.

It doesn’t matter if I run either the manual IE 11 installer package or the Windows Update obtained package…results end the same.

I’m cleaning up the log file and picking only some of the key lines from it for brevity.

  • Command line: "C:\Users\profile\Downloads\IE11-Windows6.1-x64-en-us.exe"
  • iexplore.exe version check success. Install can proceed.
  • Updated Download list, Hardware Blocking list, and no reboot policy files successfully downloaded and extracted for use.
  • Launched program to check hardware: "C:\Windows\TEMP\IE1924.tmp\IE11-SUPPORT\IEXPLORE.EXE" /CheckHardware "C:\Windows\TEMP\IE1924.tmp\IE11-support\HardwareBlockingList.xml"
  • Graphics Device Information: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295
  • Hardware support check succeeded. Installation will continue.
    <cv note: all 9 of the packages download fine>
  • Prerequisite download processes have completed. Starting Installation of 9 prerequisites.
  • Launched package installation: C:\Windows\SysNative\dism.exe /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\Windows\TEMP\IE1924.tmp\KB2834140\ /quiet /norestart
  • Process 'C:\Windows\SysNative\dism.exe /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\Windows\TEMP\IE1924.tmp\KB2834140\ /quiet /norestart' exited with exit code 0x800F081E (-2146498530)
  • Error installing prerequisite file (C:\Windows\TEMP\IE1924.tmp\KB2834140_amd64.MSU): 0x800f081e (2148468766)
  • PauseOrResumeAUThread: Successfully resumed Automatic Updates.
  • Setup exit code: 0x00009C57 (40023) - Prerequisites failed to install.

I had tried to manually install each of the prerequisite files and don’t remember having any issues though I seem to recall when getting to KB2834140 it said it wasn’t required/needed on the system and exited.

The key clue is “exit code 0x800F081E (-2146498530)” which I understand means "The specified package is not applicable to this image".

Maybe I’ve got the system looking at and pulling a corrupted WSUS update?

Anyway…I’ll be coming back to this with a fresh post soon. Chasing down possibilities from these error codes quickly becomes an Alice in Wonderland adventure.

Likewise, at work found that some of our Surface Pro 3 tablets just don’t want to pull updates down from the WSUS.

Normally when a system is “stuck” getting updated WSUS patch delivery we might escalate getting it going (after confirming it is correctly pointing in the Registry) by first doing a “gpupdate /force”. I know.

If that doesn’t work we next try the following.

  1. wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
  2. (wait 5-10 minutes)
  3. wuauclt /reportnow

If failing that, this routine comes.

  1. Stop the Automatic Updates service
  2. Rename the software distribution folder (i.e. C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution).
  3. Restart the Automatic Update service
  4. wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
  5. (wait 5-10 minutes)
  6. wuauclt /reportnow

Only that still didn’t work on the Surface Pro 3’s.

I really hoped not to reimage the systems as a “troubleshootin” solution as that is a lot of work and user impact so…I managed to get them working thusly.

I had checked the C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log and found a particular error that came up after each “manual” update refresh attempt.

That led me to this solution.

Since it was a Windows 8.1 system I ran the following command.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

It found an error with an AMD-related update package component (go figure) and repaired it.

After it completed, I did a system reboot and the updates have flowed faithfully since.

If you have a Windows 7 system, then you can use this System Update Readiness tool.

More Information and additional tools and tips:

None of those have helped with my IE 11 installation issue but with IE 8 (that it is stuck on since IE 9-10 also won’t go on) retiring soon, I’m determined to get it fixed once and for all.


Claus Valca

1 comment:

M said...

I've got exactly the same problem with not being able to install IE11 on my Windows 7 x64 machine at work. In the end I gave up. I don't think it can be fixed, because believe me I tried everything.

If you figure it out, I'd love to know how to do it.