So here is where I still stand on my recommendations:
- Free Firewall Software by GlassWire - Monitors and logs network connections…more used for logging than “active firewall blocking”.
- Sysmon - Sysinternals core service to log application/network executions
- Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit - EMET - TechNet Security
- Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows - Core AV protection
- Malwarebytes Premium - Supplemental real-time AV/AM protection
- Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit - Free Zero-Day Exploit Protection - browser layer protection
If MSE seems too light, then I would swap it out for Bitdefender Antivirus Free.
There have been some developments in the AV world and opinions abound:
- The most effective malware removal tools – Betanews
- Avira tops latest AV-Comparatives Protection test – Betanews
- Compare Your Anti-Virus' Performance with These 5 Top Sites – MakeUseOf blog
- How to uninstall antivirus – Betanews
- Beware: Free Antivirus Isn’t Really Free Anymore – HowToGeek blog
- Don't waste time and money on third party security software: Windows Defender is just fine! - markwilson.it
- Anti-Virus Software Update - GSD Thoughts – A prior blog post I wrote in Feb. with some additional AV product option links.