More GSD Windows 10 post linkage at the post bottom.
Nope. Still haven’t upgraded out Win 7 systems (x3) to Windows 10 here at home.
Still waiting to be sure the Dell systems have a chance to use as many “custom” Dell drivers for Win 10 feature support as possible.
As of the time of this blog post..
- My Dell Studio 15 (1558) isn’t listed anywhere on the page.
- Nor is my Dell XPS L702X laptop model.
- Nor is Lavie’s Dell Inspiron 15 (3520).
Non In-Place Upgrade “Clean Install” of Windows 10 Tip
Ask most any Windows 10 sysadmin or enthusiast and they will say that the “best” way to install Windows is to do a “clean” install rather than an in-place upgrade.
The downside is that can require a lot of work; backing up user profiles/data. Reinstalling of applications and software. Re-tweaking of all the settings, configurations, and adjustments you have done over the years (if you even remember them all).
The positive is that you get rid of all the extra “stuff” you have accumulated while running your Windows system and start with a “fresh” system load to build on. Something like that parable about having a firm foundation before building.
Anyway, while feedback is quite positive on the Windows 7/8.1 in-place upgrade process to Windows 10, and there are already documented ways to do a “clean install” upgrade of Windows 10 for a qualifying system, this new “clean install” method is slick and looks really good for those who are interested.
- How to clean install Windows 10 directly without upgrade - gHacks Tech News
- Windows 10: Clean Install without previous upgrade - Cashys Blog via Google Translate
- 10 Installing Windows without the same clean upgrade - Deskmodder.de via Google Translate
Ready, Steady, Prepare!
When you are ready to do your Windows 10 upgrade you may want to first review this post:
Also, BetaNews has a post about a free offer for software to assist with data-transfer between a current system and a Windows 10 system (personal use restriction).
- Microsoft makes it easy to switch to Windows 10 with free PCmover Express - BetaNews
- Move your files, folders, and more, for free* - Microsoft
It looks like it is kinda like the Microsoft EasyTransfer or USMT but from a third-party application.
Windows 10 Updates
- New mystery updates arrive on Windows 10 [Updated] - BetaNews
- Microsoft improves Windows 10 with new cumulative update - BetaNews
- Windows 10: Cumulative update KB3081438 - Borns IT and Windows Blog via Google Translate
- Microsoft releases Windows 10 patches KB3081452, KB3081448 and KB3081449 - gHacks Tech News
- Microsoft has a communications problem - gHacks Tech News
Microsoft can now update your Windows 10 system at will, use your system to seed other Win 10 system updating (inside and outside your own network/ownership), and may be vague about what those forced updates actually do. Granted you do have some limited control over those items, and enterprise builds of Win 10 have even more control, but still…
Windows 10 How-To and Tips
Like any new Windows system release, it takes a while to learn a new set of tricks and tweaks to get a measure of control back and set the system back up like you like it. Here are some more links to that end.
- These things annoy me in Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News
- How To Remove Candy Crush From Windows 10 - addictivetips blog
- How to Disable OneDrive and Remove It From File Explorer on Windows 10 - HowTo Geek
- How to completely remove OneDrive from Windows 10 - BetaNews
- Change The Default Search Engine In Edge In Windows 10 - addictivetips blog
- How To Remove Homegroup and Network Icons From File Explorer in Windows 10 - Next of Windows
- Where Are Desktop Wallpapers and Lock Screen Backgrounds Stored in Windows 10 - Next of Windows
- Remove Preinstalled Windows 10 Apps Using Windows 10 App Remover - Into Windows
- How To Uninstall Default Apps In Windows 10 - Into Windows
- Make UAC prompts less intrusive on Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News
GSD Windows 10 Linkpost list
Listed chronologically from most recent posting downward.
- Windows 10 Linkpost: Constructive Edition
- Windows 10 Linkpost: Privacy Nightmare Edition
- Windows 10 Linkpost: Pulp Fiction Edition
- Windows 10 and Wi-Fi Sense: Here be Dragons
- Windows 10 Linkpost - Almost Here Edition
- Windows 10 Link Dump
- Windows 10 Bits and Pieces
- Windows 10 (TP version) it is…