Sunday, September 27, 2015

GSD QuickTip: Reloading & Editing Old posts in WLW

I still think Windows Live Writer is one of the best blogging tools that has come out in a very long time.

Although not updated for some time, it remains just about the only post editing software I use.

I do have a few gripes, but they are generally minor; like doing complex outlines first in KompoZer Portable then pasting the page-code into WLW for tweaking.

Anyhow, I had a very old blog post I needed to make an edit to and there wasn’t any easy way I could find to reload the post in WLW and then re-edit/post it.

So, I dropped into the Blogger web-GUI and made my edit there. Once I posted the (very minor) change, I checked the page in my browser…and all my nice formatting had been stripped out. Thanks Blogger!

So I ended up doing some searching and found this quite old and possibly forgotten “trick” to now give me the needed functionality:

Once the plug-in is installed in your system, copy the URL to your blog post into your browser address bar, change the lead URI scheme of the post URL to the custom “wlw” and “go”.  That will pop up a URI handler asking to load the redirect in WLW. Do so and bammo.  There is your post ready to edit.

I’ve installed it successfully on both my Windows 7 x64 bit OS versions and it works perfectly with my WLW installation.

Cheers,

Claus Valca

No comments: