Stand back from your browser! Here comes a messy GSD Quickpost with tons of linkage for sysadmins….
New or Useful Software
- Find and optionally rename very long file names and paths - TinyApps blog - tiny tool referenced is Cut Long File Names by ReplSoft.
- Update for RDCMan - Ben Armstrong
- Using RDCMan v2.7 to Connect to a VM - Ben Armstrong
- PowerShell Break All Command - Windows PowerShell Blog
- PowerShell Remote Script Debugging in the ISE - Windows PowerShell Blog
- PowerShell Script to Retrieve Internet Explorer Telemetry Data - Anything about IT
- Windows Management Framework 5.0 Preview November 2014 is now available - Windows PowerShell Blog
- Weekend Scripter: A Graphical Tool to Explore PowerShell Help - Hey, Scripting Guy! Blog
Windows Diagnostic tool “PerfView”
- Download PerfView - Microsoft Download Center - This little gem of a Windows performance collection tool is sweet! I’m really loving the easy of its data collection.
- PerfView Tutorial - Channel 9 - Different video series than the “Defag Tools” listed below, Vance Morrison has some short mini-videos reviewing the tool, its usage, and some example applications. Good stuff!
Additional videos that are longer and more detailed on the tool.
- Defrag Tools #113 - PerfView Part 1 - Defrag Tools on Channel 9
- Defrag Tools #114 - PerfView Part 2 - Defrag Tools on Channel 9
- Defrag Tools #115 - PerfView Part 3 - Defrag Tools on Channel 9
- Defrag Tools #116 - PerfView Part 4 - Defrag Tools on Channel 9
- Defrag Tools #117 - PerfView Part 5 - Defrag Tools on Channel 9
- Defrag Tools #118 - PerfView Part 6 - Defrag Tools on Channel 9
Tips and Tricks
- How To Fix No Wireless Network In Ubuntu 14.04 and 14.10 - It’s F.O.S.S.
- How To Re-Create A Bootable ISO From Extracted Windows Installation Files - Next of Windows
- SystemRescueCD - MoonPoint.com Blog
- DNSQuerySniffer v1.35 - MoonPoint.com Blog
- Measuring the Impact of Folder Redirection - Application Launch & SMB Version - Helge Klein - part five of their Folder Redirection review series. See previously from Helge Klein:
- Windows 10: Build 9879 now available as an ISO file - Caschy’s Blog
- Can Windows 10 Technical Preview be Upgraded to RTM Version? - Next of Windows
- Subscribe to Windows 10? Microsoft Evaluates Alternative Payment Models For Their Products - MakeUseOf blog
- December Update on the Windows Insider Program - Blogging Windows
- Join us to hear about the next chapter of Windows 10 - Blogging Windows
- Will Windows 10 mean the end of malware? - TechRadar
- Windows 10 New Feature: Enhanced Snap for Both Desktop and Modern Apps - Next of Windows
- Latest Windows 10 update shows how rapid releases work in practice - Ars Technica
- What to expect in the next Windows 10 build – BetaNews
- Adobe December Patch Tuesday - InfoSec Handlers Diary Blog
- Adobe Pushes Critical Flash Patch - Krebs on Security - November cycle
- Microsoft, Adobe Push Critical Security Fixes — Krebs on Security - December cycle
- Bonus Windows updates fix other Windows updates - ZDNet
- Microsoft update blunders going out of control – ZDNet
- Windows Update KB3004394 triggers error messages – BleepingComputer
- Microsoft withdraws bad Windows 7 update that broke future Windows 7 updates - Ars Technica
- Free Best Network Monitor Tool on Windows for Home Network - Next of Windows
- Wireshark 1.12.2 and 1.10.11 Released - Wireshark
- Wireshark 1.12.2 Release Notes - Wireshark
- Wireshark - Download
- Snort 3 a complete rewrite, aims high - ZDNet
- Fiddler free web debugging proxy - Fiddler has released a new update - version 126.96.36.199
- A look at a portable USB3 network TAP - Packet Foo