Saturday, September 15, 2012

Windows 8 Linkage: A Bit Behind the Ball

CC attribution: behind the eight ball by Ed Schipul on flickr.

image

OK. Confession time. I’m more than a bit exhausted this weekend. Besides a particularly busy week at work, for some crazy reason I kept myself up till past midnight every night this past week watching a PBS run of Wagner’s Ring Cycle opera production: GP at the Met: Der Ring des Nibelungen - PBS. From a technical staging perspective alone it was stunning, but this was the first time I watched all the operas straight through. It takes an emotional toll.

Beautifully punishing.

Apparently I’m not the only one suffering a Wagner-induced hangover, A short post after a lot of opera « From the Hatchery

So please bear along I untangle myself mentally from it over the weekend.

Also, if you are running Windows 8 under VirtualBox (I’m currently using VMWare), Oracle released VirtualBox 4.2.0 just this past Thursday. See the changelog. I’m mentioning it as this version is said to include improved Windows 8 support.

Outstanding Windows 8 Link of Note

While my decision to stick with Windows 7 for the near-term remains intact, Scott’s above post has been hands-down the most powerful and well written post I’ve yet encountered to convince me that I will be upgrading to Windows 8 sooner rather than later. I agree that Microsoft has a serious “usability” hurdle to get past to encourage consumers and enterprises to pick up this new OS iteration. That said, the blood, meat, and bones of Windows 8 is quite remarkable. Scott’s excellent post goes a long way in simple terms to communicate that progress, while painful, has its own set of rewards.

Win8 - Start Here - Get It

  • nothing new of note since last post.

Win8 - Related Products and Services

  • nothing new of note since last post.

Win8 - Install It

Win8 - Under the Hood

  • nothing new of note since last post.

Win8 - To Go

  • nothing new of note since last post.

Win8 - Tweaks

Win8 - Deeper Insights

Win8 - Usage Tips

Win8 - Miscellanea, Rumors, & General Grumblings

Windows 8 - GSD Previously Posted

Hoyotoho! Hoyotoho! Heiaha! Heiaha!

--Claus V.

Keep Calm and Use Your Keyboard - @robertmclaws

attribution: Robert McLaws - as spotted on ComputerZen

No comments: