Here is a fresh linkage roundup this week. I recommend a slice of Key-Lime pie with it.
New Microsoft videos and Miscellaneous presentations
- "Defrag Tools" - a new Channel 9 series (that will talk a lot about Sysinternals utilities) - Aaron Margosis' "Non-Admin" and App-Compat WebLog
- Defrag Tools - Microsoft Channel 9 - neat source for fresh reviews of MS tools and techniques.
- Black Hat USA 2012 Presentation – Targeted Intrusion Remediation: Lessons from the Front Lines - Mandiant M-unition blog. I highly recommend viewing Jim Aldridge’s presentation slide-show (PDF) along side the excellent whitepaper (PDF) for the best experience.
- Black Hat USA 2012 - Briefings - Great collection of materials over a wide-range of topics.
- Troubleshoot Network Issues with Netalyzr - CyberNet News - review of helpful site for network troubleshooting.
- Where did the Capture Filter go in Wireshark 1.8 (by Tony Fortunato) - LoveMyTool blog
- SoftPerfect Network Scanner - Updated to version 5.4.5 this week.
Tool and Utility Roundup
- DOWNLOAD: SysInternals Suite (Updated August 3, 2012) - Kurt Shintaku's Blog - Notice that Microsoft Sysinternals has updated their “package” suite of tools. Sysinternals Suite
- KLS SOFT - WSCC - Windows System Control Center - Neat handy program that organizes and manages both the tools from Sysinternals as well as from NirSoft. Great way to access as well as update these tools in a collective manner.
- ToolTip: FindUninstallString - Anything about IT blog - Handy tool to do a reg search for references to uninstall strings. FindUninstallString
- Windows Disco - Hexacorn blog. New free tool to walk “…through all processes and their windows and takes a screenshot of each window, then saves it to a temporary PNG file in a current subfolder (named disco); you may review all these files either in an application itself, or in an Explorer, IrfanView or other image viewer.” Good illustration of technique for hunting spy/key-logger apps that utilize a “hidden” window with their process.
- Detect Usermode Hooks with NoVirusThanks Ring3 Hook Scanner - NoVirusThanks new tool to help with malware analysis
- MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it - Ask the Performance Team - Hotfixes for this post July 2012 update issue (if it happens) are linked in the post.
- How To Build Your Own Image System with ImageX - Windows7hacker - Old hat to me now but this guide is nice guide to the process with lots of images to help clarify the process.
- Do copy acceleration utilities actually lower file transfer speeds? Our tests say yes -freewaregenius.com - Confusing post title, but bottom line is that copy-helper apps may not result in quite as peak transfer rates as you would think. caveat emptor
- SRWare.net - New Iron-Version: 21.0.1200.0 Stable for Windows
Live Essentials Updates
I was surprised to see news that Windows Essentials 2012 got some updating this week. The primary focus seems to be in Movie Maker and Photo Gallery. I thought most of it was to re-brand and distance from the “Live” naming, but there were some pretty big enhancements.
When I applied the Windows Essentials updater, I noted that many other Essentials apps also got an updating, including my fav Windows Writer. Unfortunately, trying to find a useful change-log for the updates is next to impossible, so your guess (at this time) is as good as mine as to what actually the upgrade enhances.
- Introducing the New Windows Photo Gallery and Movie Maker - Windows Experience Blog
- List of all new features in Windows Photo Gallery and Movie Maker 2012 - LiveSide.net
- Microsoft's Essentials 2012 drops Live branding, Vista support and pumps up Windows 8 - Betanews
- New Windows Photo Gallery & Movie Maker Add Auto Collage, Panorama & Enhanced Narration - AddictiveTips blog
- How to Remove or Hide a Last Name from a Windows Live Profile - Windows Live Unplugged
- Google Adds Personal Gmail Results Into Search - Liz Gannes - AllThingsD - Creepy.
- Google quietly launches 'Account chooser' for easier multiple account login - The Verge
- Advanced sign-in security for your Google account - Official Google Blog
- How it works - Accounts Help (Getting started with 2-step verification) - Google Help
- One Factor, Two Factor, Three Factor, More - SpiderLabs Anterior
Security and Patching Watch
- Microsoft to close critical holes in August Patch Tuesday - The H Security
- Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for August 2012 - Microsoft
- APSB12-16 - Prenotification Security Advisory for Adobe Reader and Acrobat - Adobe Security Bulletins
- Adobe warns of critical holes in Reader, Acrobat - ZDNet
- An even more secure Flash Player for our Windows users - Google Chrome blog
- The road to safer, more stable, and flashier Flash - Chromium blog
- Windows Incident Response: RegRipper Updates - Windows Incident Response blog
- Dropbox Forensics - Champlain College Computer & Digital Forensics report by Jake Viens