Sunday, December 30, 2007

Two Tips and "Best of..." Links

Make a Cool Lunch-Bag for your Kids

When Alvis was in elementary school, I would often make her brown-bag lunches to take to school.

I would write her name on them, maybe sketch out something pretty with Sharpies.

Now that she is in junior-high, she would die if I even suggested anything to this effect.

John Watson had the brilliant idea to see if he could run a paper lunch-bag though his printer to print a graphic on it.

Took him awhile but he got it down.

Wish I had thought of that.

Move Hidden Application Windows on your Laptop Display

Working with dual-monitors at home is no big deal.  I'm not disconnecting them.

However, I get into an annoying problem at work with my laptop and dual monitors there.

See, when I remove the laptop and go portable, some applications will reopen back on the "phantom" desktop.  I can see the application in the task-bar, but can't get the program to launch on my laptop's display.  Bummer.

Sometimes I get lucky and the program uses an .ini file I can edit and set the X and Y display values back to 0,0 to get the program to open on my laptop display.  Sometimes that's not an option and I am stuck.

I had seen somewhere before a tip to deal with this but lost it.

Fortunately Ashley over at CyberNet News was reading my mind.  The very next day, this article appeared.

Ashley's tips are simple.

  1. Right-click on the application in the system-tray,
  2. Select "Move"
  3. Take a stab in the dark and try to use the move-cross cursor on the phantom space to drag the application back, or
  4. ...just press the keyboard arrow-keys to move the application window back to your laptop monitor.

Now wasn't that easy!

The 2007 Best Lists

I'm sure we will see a lot more of these lists coming in the next week.

Collections of the best applications of 2007.  I like them as they allow me a quick source of potential noteworthy applications that I may have overlooked, or forgotten.

Here are two to get things started.

Lifehacker's 2007 Guide to Free Software and Webapps - Lifehacker

SHELL EXTENSION CITY - They are running a list of their top 25 programs, tips and tweaks of 2007.  There are only a few listed per day and have listed them up to #10 right now.  Some new things I haven't heard about, and some old ones I was surprised to find on the list.  Check the prior posts to get numbers 14-25 which have already been posted.

--Claus

No comments: