Saturday, August 02, 2014

Time to own a Broadband Modem of my own? - Pt 2

It was over a year ago that I started considering purchasing my own DOCSIS modem.

grand stream dreams: Time to own a Broadband Modem of my own?

Since that time a lot of things have changed in the Valca household, but I still haven’t addressed this issue.

I am paying about $4/mo (x2) = $8/mo for two digital to analog signal converter boxes from Comcast that we don’t use now that we have pared the house down to two TV’s, each having their own HD receiver units.

That’s a waste of money.

I also need to take a trip to AT&T Wireless to remove Alvis’s iPhone from our account now that we just crossed the 2 year contract line and it can be dropped without a fee charge. (It is going to Lavie’s dad.)

So the DOCSIS modem we also rent each month from Comcast now is running on limited time.

The “good” thing is that is is an older “non-WiFi” supported model so we don’t have to feed the neighbors/guests with an Xfinity hot-spot.  Yes we can turn off that feature were it to be available, but right now, WiFi signal scans of the neighborhood appear to find that the area is already well covered by others with that service.

So, my goal is to try to address this by the Fall.

Cheers,

--Claus V.

No comments: