Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware FREE is one of the few anti-malware protections I recommend to family members and friends to put on their systems…just in case.
While I have traditionally gone first with Microsoft Security Essentials for active (free) AV/AM protection (mostly for it’s ease of use and general ubiquity for them), having MAM-Free allows me to have them do an “on-demand” scan of their system periodically when something “hinky” pops up and we want to have a trusted second-opinion that MSE addressed the threat detection. That seems to be a popular combination.
The biggest drawbacks of the free version (IMHO) are that it does not support real-time protection nor allow for heuristic detection. The pro version covers those features and more.
So it was with some excitement that I read about Malwarebytes having a fresh new rebuild of the Anti-Malware product, version 2.0.
It is currently in beta but looks and performs very, very well on my test systems.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.00 Beta Test -- DOWNLOAD - Malwarebytes Forum. download link and license key on that page.
Note: A new version beta 2.0 was released Feb 12th.
Check it out and see it if might fit your needs.
For more information:
- First public beta of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 now available - Ghacks
- Malwarebytes releases first public beta of Anti-Malware 2 - BetaNews
Other important notes:
The beta is for the “consumer” version of the product, the business version is not yet released.
If you are running MalwareBytes Free/Pro, first uninstall it before installing the beta version.
It is going to operate under a subscription licensing model, $24.95 year.
According to Malwarebytes, if you spring now for a lifetime license now (under the current build level), they will honor that lifetime license for version 2.0 so you won’t have to switch/pay for the yearly subscription price. That’s a super-deal and savings. Shop around as prices will vary a bit.
- Malwarebytes: Online Store - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro Lifetime 1 PC
- Newegg.com - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro Lifetime - 1 PC
There will still be a “free” version of Malwarebytes 2.0 when it goes public.
Maybe in related news…
- Microsoft extends life of Malicious Software Removal Tool on XP - ZDNet
- PassMark Software reveals best-performing 2014 security software - BetaNews