Movin’, movin’, movin’, keep them kitties movin’…
- Virtual Hard Disks (VHDs) in Windows Virtual PC - Windows Virtual PC blog. Good core-VHD reference info.
- Auto-Start and Close Options for Windows Virtual PC - Windows Virtual PC blog. Tricks on direct-launching VHD machines in Windows.
- Networking in Windows Virtual PC - Windows Virtual PC blog. Yep. Because either VPC networking works out of the box, or it doesn’t and you get really frustrated very quick.
- Double click to mount a virtual hard disk (Windows 7 Style) - Virtual PC Guy's Blog. The scripted way (longhand method). Keep reading…
- Booting Hyper-V R2 off a USB stick - Virtual PC Guy's Blog. Because you really know you want to! Dude! Hyper-V running off USB! Wicked!
- Windows native boot from VHD roundup – Mark Wilson’s blog. Probably THE definitive source for all tips and techniques related to native VHD booting. Mark puts my little GSD How To: Dual Boot Windows 7 on Vista via VHD file post to shame! Oh well…
- How To Use BitLocker With Attached VHD Drives - Windows (In)Security. Why Yes, Yes you can!
- VHD Attach – Medo’s Home Page - Work with VHD files? Got WIndows 7 or Server 2008 R2? Stop reading and go get/install this tool. I’ll wait. Seriously. I’m waiting. OK, don’t believe me. Go read this 4sysops review and then go get it.
- Gizmo Drive and Gizmo Central tools to mount VHD files (and a crapload more) to your system. Too bad that freaky toolbar-launcher thing is the way it is. Kinda hard to get used to.
- Tool: VHDCopy and VMProv - (freeware) - virtualization.info. Download page. VHDCopy - A command line tool to perform optimized VHD file copy operations. VMProv - A command line tool and signed driver to perform instant provisioning of VMs.
- Portlock Leep Frog - ($) – wizard based tool for boot-from VHD configuration. Pretty cool actually! Spotted and reviewed at Portlock Leap Frog makes your Windows 7 Native Boot VHD A Lot Easier [Tool] -- Windows 7 hacker post.
Bonus: USB Booting/Prep Tool Updates
- Microsoft ends GPL saga; WUDT source code released - Within Windows. Not VHD related, well it does kind touch on WIMS in a way. See also Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool Released Under GPLv2 - Port 25: The Open Source Community at Microsoft. an d
- Microsoft Store: Download Manager Help – The Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. Revised and “Open Source Community Friendly” Edition.
Finally, ARS Technica has two great pages on making your USB drive bootable.
- How to create a bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive – Walkthrough of the Windows USB tool above.
- How to create a bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive – Moving on to the manual method.
- grand stream dreams: Sexy USB Boots (Win PE style) – My own guide to USB drive booting enablement
- grand stream dreams: QuickPost: Bootable USB Stick – Additional (early) linkage references on the subject.
- grand stream dreams: Devio: Remote drive access and acquisition. – OK, not related but I still think this is awesome cool and I plan to deploy this on my next technican’s disk/USB drives so I can get to the machines remotely if they get stuck.