Sometimes you need to do some “research” work and putting a web-browser on line to look at internal information might not be the best method.
I won’t describe this work as “forensics” but maybe you need to extract some data from your browsing session, or maybe you forgot a password for a website that was saved in Firefox. Maybe you are just curious as to what information is left behind in your Internet Explorer sessions. Possibly you are a system administrator and need to get some facts down about an employee’s web-activity.
Nir Sofer has one of the best collection of portable, and free utility sets out there.
Consider adding these to your USB stick and/or system just in case the need ever arises.
The Firefox / Internet Explorer Toolbox
- PasswordFox and IE PassView and Protected Storage PassView and AsterWin IE - (freeware) – These utilities let you view user-names/passwords as stored by the browser. It picks up the default profile, but other profiles can be manually selected and scanned as well. Handy when migrating between systems, or recovering data from a damaged system. Or maybe by parents checking up on their kid’s on-line activities… PasswordFox was just released by Nir Sofer this past week. Hurrah!
- MozillaCookiesView and IECookiesView - (freeware) – Handy utility to view, manage, and delete cookies stored by the browser. Results may be saved in multiple formats.
- MozillaHistoryView and IEHistoryView - (freeware) – Tool to view the history file for browsers. Lots of information and data including first/last visit dates, visit counts, referrer, title page, host name. All information can be exported.
- MozillaCacheView and IECacheView - (freeware) – Utility that lets you inspect the cache folder of browser and shows all the contents (files) in there. Along with the file/type, information on the URL, size, last modified time, last fetched time, fetch-count, server name and a few others. Files can be copied to another location, url copied, and report generated. Items can be sorted by any column viewed.
- MyLastSearch - (freeware) – Wonderful tool that lets you pull up a list of all the search queries ran on a system (Firefox/IE) using the most popular (and likely) search engines. Results displayed in a table. Great for finding out just what you search on, or doing analysis of a target pc.
- VideoCacheView – (freeware) – Use this tool to scan through web-browser cache files if present and locate any video files. These can be useful for “review” purposes, or maybe you just want to save that favorite YouTube video for posterity for off-line viewing.